Friday, January 29, 2010

This ain't no vacation

As my first week of classes comes to a close, I must confess that I have not yet reentered the academic swing of things. I finished up my term at McMaster in mid December, and was mentally on vacation far before that date. I was on break for over a month before I was ever forced to return to the classroom and the ridiculous length of my leisure time put me into a state of perma-holiday. Now that classes have started, I am slowly attempting to get back into things; however, it's not going so well. I feel like a sugar high toddler being forced to stand still when I want to do is run around. There is so much to see and do in Leeds that confining myself to a lecture theatre almost seems like a disservice to my experience here. Then I remember the main reason that I am even here is to complete an academic semester. It's time to suck it up and study.

Though I was battling a particularly nasty case of procrastination, I managed to get myself into the library a few times this week. Brotherton library, with its two story pillars, polished wood floors, chandeliers, and decorated dome ceiling, definitely helped ease my transition back into the world of academia. Even if my required readings didn't force me to visit, I would go in there just to wander. When the sun shines (rare, but it happens), the entire core area of the library is bathed in light. Though this sends some of the more intense library regulars running for the shadows, it has made Brotherton my study spot of choice. Each time I go, I manage to stay for a little longer.

Current record: 1.5 hours
Level of work accomplished: Low
Explanation: My eyes moved down the page, but in my head I was planning a Euro trip
Reason for departure: NEEDED to go buy some jeggings (i.e. jean leggings, best of both worlds)

Ok, so it's a work in progress but with a little discipline, slightly more effort, and some Brotherton magic, I'll be back to full out nerd status in no time.

3 comments:

  1. Good to see that there is progress on the academia side, slow as it may be. Recognition of purpose is key!

    I see the NEED for those jean leggings. Did you get them and are they great?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are back on track. Get your ass moving!!! Your Momma used much nicer words, reality finally setting in. Work hard, study hard, play......when it's over.

    Love ya,

    Lauma

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha as usual, thank you for the wise words lauma auntie. as for mum, yes...i did get jeggings and they are most definitely great.

    ReplyDelete