Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Life in 44lbs

I have a weight problem. I ignored it for as long as I could, but I have to face facts. It’s time to shed some pounds and lighten my load.


Goal weight: 44lbs

Airplane companies have become notorious for their restrictions; however, I have found a company that tops them all. Air Transat only allows its passengers to check around 44lbs (20 kgs) worth of luggage. This presents quite a challenge since my shoes alone could fill that limit. Add that to the fact that I am packing for five months, three different seasons and unknown events/festivities and you’ll understand the weight of my problem.

Knowing full well that this challenge was going to require some strategic planning, I began experimenting. I used numerous different bags, suitcases, and backpacks; if I was only able to bring 44lbs worth of stuff, I wasn’t about to waste my weight on the bags themselves. I ended up using my pack and duffle bag and began strategically filling them with everything from sweaters to flip-flops.

As my weight escalated, I became increasingly obsessed with my scale. Every pound mattered. As I watched the numbers swell, I quickly learned the difference between needs and wants.
Underwear = need
Sexy heels = want
Jeans = need
Seven pairs = want
Though I spent four days sweating over my baggage, I just kept packing on the pounds. I finally managed to get my luggage to a solid 43.5lbs; however, meeting the requirement came with some major sacrifices. Not only did I have to surrender my “just in case” and “what if” outfits, I also had to check a little bit of my dignity. Airtransat may be immorally constricting, but I discovered a loophole. They can restrict my check in, they can limit my carry on, but they can’t control the clothing on my back. As a result of this revelation, on Sunday I will be wearing my heaviest jeans, a tank top, a sweater, a long sleeved shirt, a sweatshirt, my winter jacket,  a scarf, and my rain boots for the duration of my travels.

Thanks to Air Transat, my first introduction to England will be dressed as the Michelin Man.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ishani,

    I love your analogy and your writing skills are phenom!! Enjoy every moment of your experience, keep us up to date.

    By the way 44 Ilbs. shouldn't it be in kilos??

    Love You......stay happy, healthy, and safe.

    Lauma

    ReplyDelete