Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Firsts

When I tell anyone that I’m going on exchange, the immediate response is always in reference to my level of excitement:
“Exchange? That’s so exciting!”
“Are you excited?”
“How excited are you?”
“You must be so excited!”
The word has lost all meaning and these responses now top up my personal FAQ list.

On Sunday, January 17th, 2010 I will be “leaving on a jet plane” and flying off to Leeds, England for my semester long exchange. With my date of departure less than a week away, most people expect me to be bursting with excitement; however, excited is not the word I would use.

They say that there is a first time for everything, and with my exchange, almost everything will be a first. It is my first time visiting Europe; the first time I’ll be living outside of Ontario; the first time studying at a different university; and the first time I’ll be travelling completely on my own. Though the prospect leaving my comfortable routine for the unfamiliar is daunting, there is no doubt in my mind that this trip will be a momentous experience.

So no, excited is not the right word. I am nervous, I am overwhelmed but I am also TOTALLY STOKED!

No comments:

Post a Comment