Sunday, February 7, 2010

My First Otley Run

The Otley Run is a Leeds tradition and should not be attempted by the faint of heart or light of liver. This pub crawl is made for champions. Starting at one end of Otley Road around mid-afternoon, the Otley Run takes its marathoners through 17 pubs; though majority of participants don't quite make it to the finish line. To make things slightly more interesting, the crawl is completed according to theme and each competitor is challenged to not only drink a pint in each pub, but to do it in costume.

After three weeks here in Leeds, I felt that I had prepared my liver enough to attempt such a feat. On Friday at 5pm in the afternoon, I joined the students of the Clarence Dock residence, each costumed as something to represent their block letter. I was pretending to be a member of Block D, so I pulled out the rosy cheeks, ballet flats, and pigtails, and said that I was dressed as a doll. I joined my friends, dressed as a Doormat, Dorothy, and a Droog (from Clockwork Orange), and we proceeded to the first pub. That's where it all began. Before the night was over, we had shared pints with a pilot, a pack of nerds, some gnomes, avatars, fairies, and one very slutty cross-dressing granny.

Current Personal Record: 10/17 pubs

No comments:

Post a Comment